Monday, October 13, 2008

It’s Fall! A beautiful time to be in Athens, so enjoy it!

It’s Fall! A beautiful time to be in Athens, so enjoy it!
- Chelsea Hamilton, BSJ ’06 PR

Fall at OU was always my favorite time of year. Everyone is back on campus catching up on the summer vacations, internships and jobs and excited for the new school year. Senior year was the hardest because I knew it would be my last time to enjoy my favorite time at OU. How did I cope? I took some time for myself and enjoyed Athens, the surrounding and my friends. You see, I quickly learned my freshman year that it’s all about balance – balancing school, fun and work. Once I found the right mixture, my years at OU fell into place.

If you are a senior year, this year is hectic with making sure you have enough credits, updating resumes, writing cover letters and looking for jobs, but don’t forget to take time out for yourself. The Athens area and OU has so much to offer this time of year. Take a trip to Old Mans Cave – the scenery is so beautiful and it’s a great place to hike and relax after finishing up those mid-terms. Sit on College Green and take in everything that is Ohio University because it truly is a wonderful place that you will miss very much. Or grab a coffee at Perks (my old place of employment) and read a book and glance out the window at those passing by. You deserve some time to yourself, so take it!

If you are an underclassman, just explore. It’s a great time to look into different student organizations and find a good fit for you! It’s also a good time to start off-campus house hunting, believe me, it’s never to early to start looking for a house or apartment for your junior and senior year!

If you are an upper classman, fall is a good time to give back and maybe help out the underclassman, especially freshman, as they begin their college life and journey to the real world. I’m sure many of you have had or do have mentors that have helped guide you along the way. It’s a nice thing to give back and help others the same way others may have helped you. And it’s something that you may want to continue to do after graduation, as I have done with keeping in contact with PRSSA and joining SAF.

During this time between classes and studying, just be sure to take some time for yourself and leave behind the school work and stress and just be. Just be with your friends, enjoy your surroundings and most importantly have fun!

Chelsea Hamilton, a 2006 Scripps grad, is currently Field Marketing Communications/PR Manager with Bob Evans Farms, Inc. She can be reached: Chelsea.Hamilton@BobEvans.com

No comments: